The MSBA has been working with our stakeholders to develop cost saving strategies, including the Furniture, Fixtures and Equipment (FF&E) * Data Collection Initiative. The FF&E product and cost information webpage was developed in 2017 to better assist school districts and their building partners with information pertaining to outfitting school projects with FF+E.
Coming on-line to this web page in late Fall, the latest FF&E cost and product information from school districts will be displayed. We updated the tools and instructions for the MSBA 2018 Furniture and Equipment Data Collection Spreadsheet to improve the quality and usefulness of the information received from school districts.The Spreadsheet is now available following the link below. Beginning in late Fall, 2018, the MSBA will update reports using the new data collected from this year’s initiative.
*Please note, we have eliminated the reference to fixtures and any subsequent data collection on the cost of fixtures as it pertains to this analysis and reporting. We are still using the term FF&E, however, as it is known industry terminology.
FF+E Data Categories & Instructions/Guidelines for Data Entry
Data Categories & Instructions/Guidelines for Data Entry (2019) Please review the updated data categories & features of information. Based on our 2018 initiative, received feedback and recommendations from designers to enhance the spreadsheet with new features. We have incorporated those changes. New features to the spreadsheet include:
- Formulas that will populate automatically once data has been input
- Supplementary categories to Furniture and Equipment
- Dependent drop-down menus when selecting a category
- Finishes column in Section 5: Furniture to ascertain whether or not the product was standard or customized
- Tally of the Remainder Items that have been excluded from the Total Cost of Furniture & Equipment
FF+E Data Collection Spreadsheet & Supplemental Information
Data Collection Spreadsheet (2019) The MSBA will contact officials responsible for completing the spreadsheet (above).
The 2019 Data Collection Spreadsheet contains 6 sections:
- Section 1: Requires your input of general information on your school
- Section 2-4: Automatically populates the total cost of FF&E by category & subject once Section 5 & Section 6 have been completed
- Section 5: Requires your input of detailed product and cost information for certain types of school furniture to outfit certain areas in the school building.
- Section 6: Requires your input of detailed product and cost information for types of school equipment.
Please see the "FF+E Data Categories & Instructions/Guidelines for Data Entry" for additional information.
(NEW!): Supplemental Information (2018)
The MSBA is requesting additional information on equipment purchases that will help inform districts about popular equipment products that are high cost, universally designed, or otherwise noteworthy.
FF+E School Datasets
The MSBA strives to improve transparency while not imposing additional requirements on districts. A majority of MSBA stakeholders indicated a willingness to complete the spreadsheet on a volunteer basis. As such, FF+E data from each school has been generated by school district consultants.
Please re-visit this section of the webpage in late Fall 2018 to view FF+E data submitted from MSBA schools that opened in 2018.
To learn more and view the FF+E data submitted, including school datasets, data categories of interest, and the general data collection template used, please visit:
- Product & Cost Data Analysis: Results from FF+E 2017 Data Collection Pilot
- FF+E 2017 Data Collection Pilot: General Information
- FF+E 2017 Data Collection Pilot: Total Amount Spent by Subject/Area
- From Trash to Treasure: Responsible Management of Surplus School Furniture (December 2018)
- OPM Roundtable Presentation: FF+E Cost & Product Data (March 2018)
- Story of a Building: Best Practices in School Furniture Planning, Selection and Procurement (November 2017)
FF+E Resources for Districts
- RecyclingWorks - Recycling/Reusing Furniture
- EDSpaces - School Furniture Product Innovation National Conference
- MSBA - FF+E Picture Catalogue
Other Resources for Districts
Collaborative Purchasing Initiative
The MSBA is piloting a Collaborative Purchasing Initiative among interested 2019 school districts. Collaborative Purchasing is a simple concept: School districts combine their FF&E purchases, create greater volume and potentially lower the unit cost of items. This initiative is expected to lower certain FF&E costs among participating 2019 school districts thereby saving money in the district’s FF&E budgets.