The MSBA Designer Selection Panel (DSP) has jurisdiction over the procurement of designers in connection with cities, towns, regional school districts, and independent agricultural and technical schools seeking funding from the MSBA for public school construction projects whose estimated construction cost is anticipated to be $5,000,000 or greater. The DSP designer selection process incorporates the procedures required by the General Laws of Massachusetts pertaining to designer services for public building construction (Chapter 7C, Section 44, et seq.).
Please note: The DSP is now providing districts that have school projects with estimated construction costs that are anticipated to be less than $5,000,000 with the opportunity to go through the MSBA Designer Selection Panel process to select a designer. Districts should contact Marie Deslauriers at 617.720.4466 for more information.
The goals of the DSP are:
- high quality design services for public building projects;
- application of consistent procedures in the procurement of the design services;
- broad-based participation of all qualified design consultants; and
- integrity and transparency of the process for procurement of design services.
The DSP is made up of 13 appointed members and three representatives of the local city, town or regional school district who are selected by the District on a project-by-project basis. The three members who are representatives of the respective city, town or regional school district for the specific project under consideration includes one member designated by the school committee, the superintendent of schools or his/her designee and the chief executive officer of the city or town or his/her designee.
The 13 appointed members are recruited from recommended candidates of the Boston Society of Architects (BSA), the American Council of Engineering Companies of Massachusetts (ACEC) and the Associated General Contractors of Massachusetts (the AGC) as well as MSBA staff, independent design and construction professionals.
Meetings are held at the MSBA offices in Boston and are open to the public. To encourage discussion, competitors are asked to voluntarily leave the room when designer candidates are being interviewed by the DSP for specific projects.
The next meeting of the Designer Selection Panel will be held on:
- Tuesday, July 7, 2020 at 8:30 a.m.
View the printable:
Information about the DSP:
- DSP Meeting Results
Designer Selection Procedures, Revised May 2019
Designer RFS Template (Word)
- Standard Designer Application Form for Municipalities and Public Agencies not within the DSB Jurisdiction – Updated July 2016
- Designer Services Base Contract for Design/Bid/Build and CM-at- Risk, Revised October 27, 2015
- Designer Services Contract Amendment for Design/Bid/Build (PDF)
- Designer Services Contract Amendment for CM-at-Risk (PDF)
- Designer Services Base Contract Pages 1-2 and Attachments A, C, D, E and F (Word), Revised October 27, 2015
Information on the Designer Roundtable
Firms interested in providing designer services for Massachusetts K-12 public school projects funded through the MBSA are invited to present their qualifications to the Designer Selection Panel in a non-project-specific informational interview. These interviews are not mandatory but are offered as an opportunity for designers to introduce themselves to the DSP and present information about their overall qualifications, experience and approach. Firms will be provided approximately 15 minutes for their presentations followed by a 15 minute period of questions and answers led by DSP members. Please contact Marie Deslauriers at (617.720.4466) for additional information and to request an interview.
Notification of Changes to the Affirmative Marketing Program
The Commonwealth's Affirmative Marketing Program (AMP) established under M.G.L. Chapter 7C, §6, and Governors' Executive Orders helps ensure that minority owned business enterprises (MBE) and women owned businesses (WBE) certified by the Massachusetts Supplier Diversity Office (SDO) have opportunities to participate on DCAMM and other public construction and design projects across the Commonwealth. DCAMM and the SDO announced a series of AMP changes that will be in effect for state funded municipal projects advertised on or after July 1, 2020.
Please see the updates to the AMP here: https://www.mass.gov/info-details/dcamm-amp-2020-program-changes.
The MSBA is currently in the process of updating the following MSBA forms to align with the changes to the AMP:
- Designer RFS Template
- Designer Services Base Contract for Design/Bid/Build and CM at Risk and Amendments
- Designer Selection Procedures
- Designer Services Base Contract Pages 1-2 and Attachments A, C, D, E and F
The MSBA will notify stakeholders once the updated MSBA forms are published on the MSBA’s website. Please do not use any of the aforementioned MSBA forms for procurements that will be advertised on or after July 1, 2020. In the meantime, please work with local legal counsel to review the AMP changes.
- If you have any questions about the Designer Selection Panel, please contact Marie Deslauriers at (617.720.4466) at the Massachusetts School Building Authority.
- All DSP meetings are held at the MSBA Offices located at 40 Broad Street, 5th Floor, unless otherwise noted.